What do I like more than weekends? Nothing. I can’t think of anything. Ok, that’s not true. I also like vacations and holidays. So yay for this weekend! Easter & April Vacation are on the way!
Looking for what to do in Midcoast Maine this weekend? No worries, there’s plenty happening. I’ve got you covered.
My recommendation is to go see The 220s playing at The Waterdog Tavern Friday night. Have you been in to seen the restaurant since they changed over from Billy’s Tavern to new ownership? I haven’t been in yet. Let’s go check it out! Maybe try the food before the show too. I’ve heard good things thus far. Good price, good portions, good quality, etc. So, let’s get out there and give it a try! And if you’ve got the kids – don’t worry, we’ve got childcare under control. See what the MRC has going on Friday night for the kiddos. So it’s settled. Now let’s just hope for good weather. No more snow please!
Thursday, April 17
Sox play at 8pm.
Spring is here ~ Dorman’s Dairy Dream is opening Thursday April 17! This is huge news for the Midcoast for two very important reasons. 1) Ice cream. Duh. Who is going to do Sunday Sundeas with me!? and 2) Summer, here we come!
- King Eider’s Pub - Entertainment in the Pub will be Jud Caswell 7-9pm.
- Old Blues Kats @ The Speakeasy, 8pm. If you’re feelin’ blue go get your groove on at The Speakeasy! (It’s the band that used to be called the Blues Prophets. Same band, different name. Amazing results.)
- Archer’s on The Pier does Tuesday & Thursday buy 1 get 1 1/2 off entrees. Love those bargains!
- Three Tides /Marshall Wharf opens the bottom tonight!! Get there!
- Savory Maine Organic Restaurant Musician Gary McCue tonight 6-8pm.
- Simon & Goodwin folk duo performing at Rockland Library. Free. 6-7:30 pm. You can give them a listen on their website. Classic folk.
- Fajita Thursday at La Vida in Belfast. Buy one Fajita dinner, get one 50% off! All day! Yum! Add a margarita and I’m there.
- Saltwater Film Society screening “The Village” at Thomaston Public Library, 6:30 pm. I just really, really loved this movie. It’s not even that great. But I just really liked it. It’s William Hurt and Sigourney Weaver in an isolated village in and things get weird. Free.
- Celtic Band Jam on Thursdays at Bell the Cat in Belfast.
- Nukulele is rockin’ out @ Front st pub in Belfast, ME starting at 8 p.m. Be there! Wicked fun, guy!
- Belfast Maskers put on “Agnes of God” nightly through April 19th, 7 pm. Cost $10.
- Karaoke at Cuzzy’s!
- Smokestack has Locals Day! $1 PBR’s, $2 Off Burgers and Sandwiches.
- Live music @ Newcastle Publick House is Paul Mellyn. $6 martini special, $3 wine special.
- Open Mic @ Highlands! 6:30-9:30pm. Get there wicked early to sign up to play! Apparently it’s a full house over there tonight! No seats left, but great music!
- In Good Company Food Journey is River Cottage this week. This week’s menu: Garlicky Flat Bread
Cambodian Wedding Day Dip
Pea & Parsley Soup
Fritto Misto of
Duck Liver & Asparagus with Sage & Capers *** Simple Globe Artichoke Nettle Gnocchi with Crab Butter *** Hazelnut Macaroons
- Sunfire Grill 10 Year Anniversary Celebration. 4 Courses, $30 per person, call for reservations. Yum!
Friday, April 18
Sox at 7 pm (Did you catch this article about the best bars in Maine for watching Sox games? Midcoast had three bars make the list!)
- The 220s playing prog rock at The Waterdog Tavern (The old Billy’s Tavern.) Give the band a listen here. Great jams. This will be a fun one!It’s great that The Waterdog is having a band there! I’m really hoping they keep up the music scene that Billy’s had. We’ll see. Go to this event and show them how much we love having live music at that venue and maybe they’ll just have to bring us some more fun events!! This event is called Rock for Autism . It’s a fundraiser for the Autism Society of Maine. It’s truly great cause. I do a softball tournament fundraiser for Autism Society of Maine in the summer and love supporting these folks. Here’s my rad team from last year:Anywho, the music at the Waterdog Tavern starts at 9 p.m. There is a max capacity limit, so get there early! It’s a 21+ show with a suggested donation of $5 at the door.There will also be a raffle and silent auction. For event info & to see what they’ve got for auction items, go here. Don’t bid on the personal trainer session, I want it! Hah. This event will be a lot of fun. See you there!!
- Karaoke at The Myrtle St. Tavern! Starts at 9 p.m., 21+.
- Thank you, Mid-Coast Recreation Center & Rockport Dance Conservatory for “Great Date Escape” for Parents! Fri., 6-8 p.m. The Dance Conservatory crew will have crafts, dance and a Great Egg Hunt for kiddos age 5-11. Admission is by donation to the conservatory’s Red Shoe Performance Fund. Reservations: info@RockportDance.com or 557-5421.
- The restaurant formerly known as Peter Ott’s is opening at their new location! Now they will be known as Peter Otts on the Water because they are located on Bayview Landing now (where Graffam Brothers was). Fancy. Like them on facebook. And go check out the new place. They will be open Tues-Sat 5pm -9pm and Sunday 9:30am – 2:30pm for brunch.
- Beer & Wine Tasting @ Rockland Food Service 4-6 p.m. Stop by sample and take home something yummy.
- Yappy Hour at In Good Company 4:30-6 p.m.
- Smokestack has a DJ starting at 9 p.m., no cover. $3 Cosmo and Martinis, $4 Sex on The Beach
- O’Reilly’s auto parts is having their Grand Opening April 16-29. They are where VIP is on Rt. 1 in Rockland. I didn’t realize it was O’Reilly’s now, but then I saw the sign when I was there the other day and all I could do was start singing “Oh, Oh, O’Reeeiiillly.” Anyway, stop by there for a game card /chance for $200 sweepstakes and free gifts.
- All Play Bowling Alley in Waldoboro has galactic bowling 7-11 p.m. on Fridays. It costs $10 per person to bowl as many times as you like and your shoe rental is included in the price. And, if you make a reservation in advance, parties of 4 get a FREE pizza! Yay freebies!! Oh, and they have 3 pool tables, arcades, food and yes, they have beer. Have fun!
- Food & Farm Film Fest at F.A.R.M.S. Community Kitchen above Rising Tide in Damariscotta. More info here. 7pm. This week’s documentary is: Weight of the Nation (click link for trailer). Obesity is huge right now so this should be popular
- Open Mic at the Time Out downstairs.
- Rustic Overtones & Spose play a Benefit Concert at Thompson Community Center in Union. Tickets $12 in advance, $15 at door. Friday, 7:30pm. Rustic plays sweet rock/funk/jazz. Spose does hip hop/rap that is cheesier than provolone. This will be a rockin’ show. Get ready to dance. Just a head’s up last time they played locally it sold out.
- Fridays are All-U-Can-Eat Rib Night at Front Street Pub, Belfast. It’s $12.99 & comes with sides. Oh, it is on.
- Good Time People will be rockin’ The Speakeasy, 8-11 p.m. No cover. They do a mix of cover songs, some funk, some reggae/pop, some acoustic.
- Rock Harbor will possibly have live music on Friday night, 9 p.m., 21+, no cover. And they do! It’s Rick Turcotte and Scott playing from 7:30-10:30. I really enjoy these guys! Folky & fun!
- Live music by John Hasnip @ Montsweag Roadhouse
Saturday, April 19
Sox at 1:30 pm.
- The Speakeasy has Sea Train serving up reggae/pop music 8-11 p.m. $5 drink specials. I feel like no matter how many times I type it I will never be able to spell reggae correctly.
- Phil Clement will be playing at the Whale’s Tooth Pub and Restaurant in Lincolnville on April 18 and April 26 from 6-9 p.m. Great food, great music.
- Rock City Café hosts OC & Sarah who will play bluegrass & folk, 5-7 p.m., free. More info.
- Married w/ Chitlins @ Montsweag Roadhouse
- DJ at TOP upstairs. No Cover. 21+TOP downstairs has a pool tournament at 2 p.m. with cash prizes with drink specials & free snacks, and then Karaoke!
- Trackside Station has the 2nd annual Ballad Of Milli Vanilli Lip Syncing Contest! Prizes will be given to the top 5 crowd favorites. Dress up. Or go naked. Whatever. Ok don’t do that. Event is Saturday 8 pm at Trackside. Fundraiser for Roller Derby Girls. Cost is $7, plus $2 per song. For sign-up information, visit rockcoastrollers.org. Registration deadline is April 16th.
- Live music at Myrtle St. Tavern. 21+ $3 It’s Tilden Kats! Classic Rock covers. This will be fun!
- Butcher Demo at Maine Street Meats 3 p.m. free.
- DJ at Front Street Pub, Belfast 9 p.m. – close.
- Narrows Tavern has some wine to sample and they want your help. Yay for Wine Tasting! It’s from 3-5 p.m. It’s a free event for Wine Club members. Sounds like a club I need to join. For non-members: $10/pp or $15/couple. And if you stay for dinner,you’ll get %10 off your meal!
- Acadia has free entrance April 19-20 for opening weekend of National Park Week. Go visit Bubble Rock! When I did Americorps I helped build the crib steps on that trail. So, if you hike that one, you’re welcome.
Sunday, April 13, 2014 – Happy Easter
Sox at 7 p.m.
- Drink Specials at Trackside:
- TOP downstairs has a pool tournament at 2 p.m. with cash prizes with $5 nachos & $5 Bloody Marys.
- Drink & Draw at The FOG starts at 7 p.m. You get to hang out and draw/paint/collage, etc. There is a different theme each week. They supply the art materials. Pretty fabulous if you ask me. It’s better than doing art at home because a) it’s free, b) they wait on you, and there are Happy Hour prices for drinks and things, and c) you don’t have to clean up the mess like you do at home!
- $.50 Wings at Rollie’s. Rollie’s was just named on of the best places in Maine to watch Sox games. I have to agree. Great sports bar feel. Great food. Great drink specials. Also, they have their Comedy Club coming up April 26. Did you get your tickets yet!?
- Sunday Night Salsa, Sundays, 7-8:30 p.m., Studio RED, 143 Rankin St., Rockland. Some lessons to get ya started. Beginners welcome. FMI: 593-7914
- King Eider’s Pub – Bloodys, Mimosas and Music, Music 1-3pm—Steve Jones, Scott Elliot and Paul Mellyn
- The Mike Whitehead group playing Jazz at Highlands Coffeehouse,1-3 p.m.
& If you like good food, I’ve got good news!
Fox on The Run Food Truck coming to Midcoast Maine! They’ll do Belfast & Rockport. Get the deets here. Fingers crossed that they serve late night munchies after bars close in Rockland this summer!! I’ll keep you posted! Like them on facebook!
For more events and the lowdown on what there is to do in the Midcoast, visit my blog, The Lemonade Lowdown!