It’s Thursday and you know what that means??! I don’t know either. My brain is so fried from the work week. And it was a short week this week, too. Yikes. Anyway, here’s the lowdown on what cool stuff there is to do this weekend in Midcoast Maine. Enjoy!
Thursday, May 29
- Will Mallett of the Mallett Brothers Band is playing at The Speakeasy for their songwriters series 6-9 p.m. This was a blast last time he came to town.
- Open Mic at Highlands in Thomaston from 6:30-9:30 p.m. These are very popular! Arrive early if you want to sign up to play, and well, arrive early if you want a seat!
- Shepherd’s Pie does Happy Hour on Thursday nights 8-9 p.m. Enjoy $3 draft beer & house wine, $2 off cocktails on their drink list. $10 beer battered Fish n Chips. What a deal. You can get more info about Happy Hour info in the area on the Happy Hour page of my baby blog.
- Bell The Cat is hosting an Supporters Appreciation Night 6-8 p.m.
- In Good Company, on Main Street in Rockland, is going on a Food Journey and it’s their last one for the season. Come in and sample cuisine from their destination for the week. This week it’s Sichuan. $30 per person. Call (207) 593-9110 for reservations. And here’s the menu:
STRANGE FLAVORED PEANUTS
SPICY CUCUMBER SALAD
SWEET AND SOUR RED PEPPERS
HARICOT VERT IN GINGER SAUCE
MAN-AND-WIFE MEAT SLICES
FISH-FRAGRANT CHICKEN SLIVERS
FISH WITH CHILIES AND SICHUAN PEPPER
POCK-MARKED MOTHER CHEN’S BEAN CURD
ZUCCHINI SLIVERS WITH GARLIC
STIR-FRIED MIXED MUSHROOM
SIMPLE BEAN CURD SOUP
Friday, May 30
- It’s Art Walk in Belfast! Over 20 downtown galleries open up for public to explore the exhibits during the Final Friday Art Walks in downtown Belfast from 5:30 – 8 p.m. For more information, visit their website at belfastcreativecoalition.org.
- K2 Music in the Reny’s plaza in Camden will hold their regular Music After Hours from 6-8 p.m. This time it’s Uke Night! I hear these have been very popular thus far. Bring a uke to play or just come to hang out and listen. Prizes, refreshments, and music galore.
- Hurry Down Sunshine has some jazz and blues (and loves songs too!) for your listening enjoyment at Highlands Coffeehouse in Thomaston at 7 p.m.
- Live Music by Robby Simpson at The Narrows Tavern, 8 p.m. I’m a sucker for a boy playing Americana music, so my opinion may be a little biased, but this music sounds awesome! Give him a listen here. I like “Crush This Town” a lot. Also, The Narrows is awesome. If you’ve never been, they’re located right downtown Waldoboro, can’t miss it. Great food, nice tavern feel, fun & friendly atmosphere.
Saturday, May 31
- Old Town Road is playing live music at Rock City Cafe at 7-9 p.m. Event is free. Tipping the musicians suggested. Food, coffee, beer & wine available for purchase.
- The Ragbirds are playing lively folk/pop at 7:30 p.m. at The Strand Theatre in Rockland. Cost $13 advance tickets/ $16 at door.
- Our Rock Coast Derby Girls have their Nautical Knockdown this weekend at the Midcoast Recreation Center. Doors at 5 p.m., game faces at 6 p.m. Cost: $10 in advance, $12 at the door. Afterwards, roll on over to Trackside Station in Rockland to hear No Guts No Glory rock out for the Rock Coast Rollers Rollerderby after party! Band starts at 9 p.m. 21+, $3 cover. They will be playing lots of fun cover songs so come ready to dance.
- Ducks!! West Bay Rotary Hosts the Duck Derby at Camden Harbor at 2 p.m. Get assigned a duck in advance at French & Brawn in Camden. They’ll release all the Rubber Duckies in Megunticook River and whoever’s duck crosses the finish line first wins. Come down to the Camden Harbor at 2 p.m. to watch the Ducks arrive. It’ll quack you up! Hope there’s no foul play! We want the event to go swimmingly. So, go spend a few bills, so you have a chance to win, or just come for the fun. Don’t be caught saying “I wish Eider gone.”
- Songwriters in the Round Concert to Benefit F.A.R.M.S. will be at the Damariscotta Baptist Church from 7-9:30 p.m. Heather Hardy, Caroline Cotter and Putnam Smith will be playing folk & bluegrass music. For more info and tickets go here.
Sunday, June 1
- Jazz Jam at The Highlands Coffee House, in Thomaston, 1-3:30 p.m. Open to all.
- The FOG Bar and Café has Drink and Draw starting at 7 p.m. They’ve got art materials for you and there is a different theme each week. You also get to enjoy happy hour all night during the event. $2 off all drafts and food specials on the bar menu and $6 select cocktails like a Blackberry Cosmo — Yum!
Thanks for reading. You can also find even more event listings for the Midcoast at Lemonade Lowdown. (I just do the highlighted events on this blog. The other one has the full listings. I know, I know, what a tease.)